Just Another Day in Paradise

Just Another Day in Paradise
Just the crazy life of a neurotic father and husband married to an angel from Heaven and raising two wonderful gifted children.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A Child Or An Enemy?


With all the recent hate since 9/11, the shooting at Ft. Hood, and lets not forget the war that’s going on, there has been much stress between Muslims and Americans lately. 

I had hoped it wouldn’t get into the grade school realm and affect my children, but it finally has.  And my children have been asking me some pretty tough questions about “Are some religions of the devil?” “Are all people who are this religion bad?” “Daddy, what religion is right and which ones are wrong?”  “Dad, is the world going to end in 2012?” And the lists of questions go on and on and on.  So I though I would address it in my blog and try to sort it all out, even though I have no idea what the right answer to these questions are.  But for the sake of my children, I have to try to answer them.

So, after much prayer for wisdom and knowledge, this is what I believe the Holy Spirit has shown me.  (Yes, there is a Holy Spirit, as well as millions of spirits, demons, and entities in other realms we don’t see).

It seems like every denomination of faith has a belief that people can only go to paradise or heaven, if all people believe in their way, according to their “Bible” or writings.  There is constant fighting and arguing over who is right and who is misguided by a false belief.

Every “religion” can point to “other religions” or beliefs and list pages of evil deeds and actions carried out by people of their belief.  They can also counter by listing pages and pages of good and noble actions that were carried out by people of their own belief.  These different religions can go on forever pointing out good and bad things about each other without ever coming to a conclusion (and we are constantly doing this daily even to this very minute).   I could do this also, but my blog would never end.  So, with just a few examples and comments that I have decided to share with my children, I will share with you. 

In the New Testament in the Book of Acts, a man by the name of Cornelius, who is neither Jewish nor Christian, nor of any “religious brand” other than being a Roman citizen because he didn’t know Jesus even existed, for no one had ever told him about Jesus.  In Acts 10:1-2, it says, “In Caesarea there lived a Roman army officer names Cornelius, who was a captain of the Italian Regiment. He was a devout, God fearing man, as was everyone in his household. He gave generously to the poor and prayed regularly to God.”

One day while Cornelius was praying he was visited by one of God’s angels and told “Your prayers and gifts to the poor have been received by God as an offering.”

After Cornelius’s vision the apostle Peter is prompted by the Holy Spirit to go visit him.   Then after Peter visits him, he says, “I see very clearly that God shows no favoritism. In every nation he accepts those who fear him and do what is right.”

Peter then shares the Good News about Jesus with him, “…that everyone who believes in him will have their sins forgiven through his name.  Even as Peter was saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell upon all who were listening to the message.” (Acts 10:43-44). 

So, it clearly shows that God hears and pays attention to anyone who prays to him and he notices people who do good deeds and help their fellow man, the poor, and the needy,  even if they have never heard of Jesus or belong to certain named religious groups.

And even Jesus said to his followers and the other people listening, “I have other sheep, too, that are not in this sheepfold. I must bring them also.  They will listen to my voice, and there will be one flock with one shepherd.”
(John 10:16)

In Matthew 7:1 Jesus says, “Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. For you will be treated as you treat others. The standard you us in judging is the standard by which you will be judged.”

The apostle Paul give an example that shows only God ultimately decides who receives mercy and compassion. Romans 9:15 For God said to Moses, “I will show mercy to anyone I choose, and I will show compassion to anyone I choose.”

So we can argue and throw scriptures and writings from all kind of books and bibles all day long, but when it comes down to the end, God will decide what happens to us.

The message I give my children is that God speaks to individual people, not groups or denominations.  He has children that he has chosen to adopt in every named faith and belief and enemies that belong to every named faith and belief.  I tell them they will have to examine the facts, talk with God, and then decide whether they are a child or an enemy.






No comments:

Post a Comment